there's pizza in the fridge

there's pizza in the fridge

Friday, October 14, 2011

Dead-Apple Picking

I just ate the last third of an M&M cookie that was on a table at work today. Just a couple hours ago, it was a half a cookie. I'm sure at some point before that, it was a whole cookie, and that there were more before it. My shift started at 9:30, when I walked in and noticed the half-cookie. Everyone else started at 8:00. So that means that for an hour and a half, several cookies were eaten (I am told there were only three and a half more, but this could be deception), while between 9:30 and noon, less than a third of one cookie was eaten. This happens at my other job, too. Sometimes there will be a box full of donuts in the break room when we open at 9:00, and by 11:00 only one will remain, which, without my intervention, would stay there the rest of the day. I'm usually not in the mood for donuts, but I always end up scarfing that last one down hurriedly, to soonest clear the table of unnecessary clutter.

Why does this happen? Is it because nobody wants to clean up? Are they afraid just one more donut will make them gain 20 pounds? Is it astrology -- some cosmic coincidence that causes death eating donuts past a certain time and under a certain sign? Could my coworkers be playing at some cruel subterfuge, to make the last third of a cookie feel like it could die at any moment, torturing it with the menace of waiting for several hours? Truthfully, none of that matters, because the fact is, I just thought far too much about why there was only a third of a cookie left on a table.

It's not just cookies and donuts; it's data, and papers, and people. Even if I have 500 GB left on my hard drive, I will go delete 300 MB shows after I watch them, or go through and delete games I don't play, at maybe 8 GB large, if I determine that they're "taking up too much space." Music isn't safe either -- if I download or rip an album, I can't stand to have it on my HD for more than a week before deleting all the songs I don't like after only a couple listens. My kitty-covered school folder, too, is subject to The Purge. I regularly empty my folder of graded homework, days-old assignments, things I can find on Angel, and things I can't find on Angel or anywhere and might end up being necessary for class but hey maybe not, right? And friends, oh dear friends. Even though my Facebook friends list is small, and my cell phone contacts list smaller, I still feel the overwhelming urge to destroy destroy DESTROY when I see names that are not being utilized to their full potential. (Or just people I don't talk to or see much, only exceptions being my few super-hot acquaintances.) It's like picking the dead apples off a tree when you know they're going to fall off anyway.

I don't know if this is a problem or what, but the feeling of purging, of removing everything that is not absolutely necessary, is too cleansing and too relieving for me to stop. My room is neat, my PC organized, and my life in order. I feel like I am missing some chaos in my life because of this, but then again, some chaos has been added, too. After all, under what other conditions would I so obsess about a third of a cookie?

4 comments:

  1. It's odd. I find myself in the opposite situation. I have songs on my iPod that I never listen to, however I feel I have to leave them there because I listen to other songs on that album and I couldn't stand to not have the whole thing on there. Likewise, I find myself buying movies I don't particularly like (The first POTC, for example, or The Phantom Menace), because I like the other movies and I need the whole set.

    As to the cookies, people just don't want to be "the rude person" who took the last cookie. It's somehow more polite to just leave it there until it gets stale and must be thrown out than to just eat the damn thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obsession with cookies and doughnuts... and with purging... you don't have an eating disorder do you? also tradition states that if you take the last morsel of food then you are "the old maid" and are undesirable and will never marry. So there is your explanation, and my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my problem is quite the opposite than yours. i end up just leaving everything I recieve in my folders (until they start falling apart), I have songs from my youth that I hate on my ipod, and my facebook is filled with people that have no meaning to me whatsoever. I just let all the clutter in my life build up. I'm no hoarder, but unless I have a good reason I find it hard to be motivated to get rid of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the border line between purger and hoarder. There are somethings I just don't get rid of because I THINK I'll need it again one day. On the other hand, I have known to just ditch everything and start anew. As for the cookies? Imagine working in a place where no one cleans out the fridge.

    ReplyDelete